Setup Dynamic DNS for free with DNSPark.com on Ubuntu 12.04 using ddclient
Configuring DNSPark.net account to work with your ddclient on Ubuntu 12.04
- Register for a DNS Park Account at https://www.dnspark.net
- Purchase a DNS Hosting service by choosing Purchase Services from the Main Menu.* We recommend our Standard DNS Hosting service if you need mail and/or web redirection. If you do not need any mail or web redirection, our Base DNS Hosting service will work. (you can also use their free version)
- Click the DNS Hosting tab and Add Domain. Select the DNS Hosting service checkbox, then type your domain into the Enter New Domain: field. Click the Add Now button.
- Click the DNS Hosting tab again, and then your domain.
- In the Add Records section:
- Ensure ‘A’ is the type.
- Type your desired hostname into the Hostname field. We recommend choosing something that describes the purpose for the IP. For example, if you are defining the IP of your home network, your Hostname could be ‘home’. If it is for an IP camera, you might choose ‘camera’.
- Leave the TTL as is.
- Check the Dynamic box.
- Enter 184.108.40.206 in the IP address field. (This is only temporary, your dynamic DNS client will update it once configured.)
- Click the Update All button.
- Click the Account Tab, then DDNS Users from the Main Menu.
- In the New User row, create a Username and Password. Your dynamic DNS client will use this to authenticate with your system, so we recommend choosing something related to your client. For example, if you are using ddclient, you might choose ddclient_user for your Username, but what you choose is up to you.
- Click Update Dynamic Users.
Installing ddclient on Ubuntu 12.04
Go to your package manager, search and install “ddclient”. During the installation process it will prompt you for a configuration. You can just click “next” through the entire process as you will be manually changing the settings later. Once installed run the following command:
sudo gedit /etc/ddclient.conf
Match the ddclient.conf EXACTLY with the information below:
use=web, web=ipdetect.dnspark.com, web-skip=’Current Address:’
*NOTE*: You can update “daemon=300” to any value you want. It is in seconds. 300 seconds is 5 minutes. For example, I want it to run every 8 hours. So I have this value in my config as 28800.
Modifying default settings
Run this command:
sudo gedit /etc/default/ddclient
Match the contents of this file to the settings below:
- In your DNS Park account, click DNS Hosting, and then your domain.
- Verify the IP address you entered in above (220.127.116.11) has been updated to your dynamic IP address.
- You can now access your dynamic IP using the hostname you created above.
sudo ddclient -daemon=0 -debug -verbose -noquiet