How to Install Kodi v16.1 on any Google Android TV (Sony XBR850C)
I have a Sony 75″ 4K HDTV (and I love it!)
I wanted the ability to play MKV files (and more) so I decided to figure out a way to get XMBC/Kodi installed.
Here’s what I did to get the latest version of Kodi (v16.1) installed:
- On your TV’s touchpad remote, press HOME.
- Navigate to and click on SETTINGS, it’s all the way at the bottom.
- Under the TV section, scroll to and click on ABOUT.
- Scroll down to BUILD, and click on the item 7 times, you should see “You are now a developer” on screen.
- This will also give you access to the Developer Options menu under System Preferences.
- Press BACK on your remote.
- Navigate to PERSONAL>SECURITY & RESTRICTIONS, and turn Unknown Sources ON.
- Press HOME on your remote and navigate to the Google Play Store.
- Search for “es” and install ES File Explorer.
- Download Kodi v16.1
- My Local Mirror: kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.zip
- Remote Mirror: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/kodi-16.1-Jarvis-armeabi-v7a.apk
- Copy the APK to a USB drive, and insert the drive into your TV’s USB port.
- You should see a “USB Connected” prompt on the TV.
- Start ES File Explorer by clicking the tile on the home menu.
- Inside of ES File explorer, on the left panel, scroll down until you see the LOCAL column, there will be a device called USB**** (last numbers vary).
- Click on USB****, then click OPEN, grant access by saying OK, then click on your downloaded Kodi APK and install it.
- That’s it! Press HOME on your remote and Kodi should be available and run without any problems!